Staying Safe During A Storm And Assessing The Damage Afterward
It's important to stay safe during a storm. Also, after a storm, you should take an assessment or your property and your surroundings to minimize the impact it has on your life. Here are some tips you can consider when the storm hits:
- Listen to the radio for advisories or instructions from the local news station or national weather service
- If an evacuation order has been given, it's important to follow those instructions right away.
- Stay away from downed power lines and avoid standing water or metal objects or cars close to down power lines.
- Stay away from damaged trees and dangling or broken limbs.
- Do not swim or wade in flood waters.
- Check on neighbors, especially those who are elderly or disabled.
- Turn the gas off at the meter if you smell gas.
- Do not drive unless absolutely necessary. Shelter in place.
- Don't attempt to drive through flooded streets or bridges. It's just not safe.
- Avoid using candles or other open flames indoors. A propane lantern may be a better option if you need lighting.
- Always keep a fire extinguisher handy.
- Make sure your battery powered smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are working.
- Keep pets indoors and use a leash when taking them outside.
- Operate generators outdoors in the open away from windows and doors.
- If the electricity has gone out, make sure you don’t eat perishable food from the refrigerator that has warmed to over 40° F.
After the storm has passed and it's safe to go out side, check your surroundings and assess any possible damage.
- Check your roof for missing and loose shingles or tiles.
- Inspect your attic, the ceilings, and walls for any leaks or water intrusion.
- Check around doors and windows for damage or water intrusion.
- Clean up any tree branches that may have fallen
- If tree branches have fallen on to power lines, contact your local fire department or power company.
- Remove any trees that have fallen or are leaning over as a result of storm or lightning damage.
- Make sure your septic system is not damaged before using any plumbing.
- Check your basement walls and entry areas for any damage or water intrusion.
If you're not sure how badly damaged something is or don't know how to make the repairs yourself, it's always best to ask a professional.
If your home or commercial property is damaged during a storm or any weather event, SERVPRO Of North Hollywood is here to help. Our team is standing by 24/7 and ready to deploy when you need us. (818) 754-0050